What better way to start the day than with a smoothie packed full of highly-nutritious ingredients? (There isn’t!) With this recipe, you can create a vegan breakfast smoothie that is super tasty, full of protein and is great for your body. This delicious smoothie is a combination of berries, greens and dairy-free vanilla yoghurt. I know it might not sound great but trust me it really is!
Makes: 2 servings
I’ve linked each ingredient I use – all from Morrisons – to make life a little easier.
- 2/3 cup vanilla Alpro yoghurt (or another dairy-free equivalent)
- 2/3 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 large frozen strawberries
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 celery sticks
- 5 slices of cucumber (1 cm thick)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk of choice (I use soy but there are others like coconut or almond)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavour protein powder (optional)
Tip: If you decide to use protein powder in your shake, first, make sure it’s vegan and secondly, I tend to swap the dairy-free milk for water instead. This helps to control the numbers of calories in the smoothie, plus using milk alongside the yogurt and protein can make it quite “sickly”.
Prep: 5 min > Blend: Up to 5 min
- Wash all of your fruit and salad items to make sure they’re clean.
- Chop the celery and cucumber into small slices and add them to a blender with the milk/water. Cover with the lid and blitz for 1 minute.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and cover with the lid and blitz for a further 2-3 minutes. You’ll want your smoothie to be smooth (duh, it’s in the name). Use a spoon to stir the mixture and if you catch any lumps, blend for another 1 minute.
- Add more water or milk to the mixture depending on how thick you like it. (I prefer my smoothies to be quite thick.)
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Note: I always make my smoothies the night before as I don’t have time to make them before work. They never seem to go off or taste any different but if you’ve got time, make it on the day you’re planning to drink it.