This is probably a bit of a cheat recipe as it doesn’t include making the falafel from scratch. However, the purpose of this post is to show that by choosing the right falafel sold ready-made, you can create a super easy and healthy vegan meal for lunchtime, a quick tea or other. So, here’s my super simple falafel curry recipe – enjoy.
Falafel & Rice
- Cauldron Middle Eastern Falafel or Morrisons Free From Mediterranean Falafel
- Tilda Microwave Thai Jasmine Rice – one of my favourites
- 1 cup passata
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil (or another plant-based alternative)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot/medium curry powder – I like spicy
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger powder spilt: ½ tsp and 1 tsp
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat canned coconut milk
- 1 OXO cube of vegetable stock (or another form of vegetable stock)
- ½ small red pepper
Good To Know: Full-fat in most cases, is better than reduced as reduced products contain a lot of added sugars and other sweeteners.
Though if you’re looking to reduce your calorie intake reduced fat might be your preferred option. Just remember to check that it’s not being stuffed with harmful additives!
Prep: 10 mins > Cook: 10 mins > Serve!
- Preheat your oven to the suggested time on your packet of falafel. Of course, depending on the falafel you use, it takes different lengths of time to cook. Cook for the suggested time, for the Cauldron falafel it’s 12 minutes.
- Whilst the falafel is cooking, cut your onion and pepper into small, chunks and add to a pan with coconut oil and fry until soft.
- Add in passata, salt, onion powder, curry powder, ginger powder, coconut milk and vegetable stock and mix.
- Leave to simmer until your falafel is done and ensure that the entire mixture is hot before serving.
- 2 minutes before your falafel and curry mixture is ready, heat up your microwaveable Thai Jasmine rice, in the microwave.
- Once cooked, serve onto a plate, top with your sauce and add the falafel.
- Serve and enjoy!