As I’m venturing into more and more vegan foods, it was inevitable that I would try tofu at some point. I remember the first time I saw a family friend eat it and it made me feel really sick. The thought of eating this white chunk of “soya” was so gross to me. However, having learnt the benefits of being vegan and having a change of mind to the kind of food I put in my body, I wanted to try it. This recipe is based on something that my sister started making (with chicken), that I’ve now copied using tofu. Take a look!
All of the ingredients are linked to buy from Morrisons. I believe you can buy every product from other supermarkets like Tesco, Asda… you get the jist.
- 1 sachet of Uncle Ben’s Wholegrain and Quinoa Microwaveable Rice
- 1 packet of Cauldron’s Extra Firm Tofu
- 8 medium spring onions
- 3 tbsps of Extra Spicy Cajun Seasoning (or just normal cajun – I’m a spice junkie)
- 2 handfuls of Rocket or a different salad of your choice (1 handful per person)
- 3-5 sprays of Fry Light Spray (for cooking)
- 1 tbsp of Olive Oil (to “season”)
- 1 tsp of Chilli Flakes
Prep: 5 min > Cook: 6-8 mins > Ready in 13 mins
- Open the packet of extra firm tofu, drain so that there isn’t any water left and chop into tiny cubes. You can actually “press” the tofu to make it a firmer texture. For details on how to do this, see the cooking guidelines here. (I didn’t do this because I’m lazy and wanted to eat then and there rather than waiting an extra 10 minutes.)
- Next chop the spring onions, again into tiny cubes.
- Stick your frying pan over a medium heat and spray it with fry light (or olive oil for an alternative) until it’s covered in a thin layer. Add your chopped tofu and spring onions to the pan and stir so that they become coated with the fry light/oil.
4. Add the Cajun to the pan and mix so that it again coats the tofu. You might want to turn your heat up slightly to a medium-hot heat so that the tofu fries and goes slightly burnt/crispy.
5. Leave to cook for 4 minutes, stirring it every now and again. In the fourth minute, tear the top of the packet of microwave rice (like it suggests) and microwave on full power for 2 minutes. Whilst this is cooking, plate up your desired amount of salad. In my case, this will be the rocket. I usually take 1 big handful which is equivalent to 1/4 of the bag.
6. Once your rice has finished cooking in the microwave split the pack in 1/2 and plate onto 2 plates. (1/2 a pack is the equivalent to 1 serving).
7. Turn the frying pan off and spoon 1/2 of the cajun tofu mixture onto one plate and the rest onto the other plate.
8. Drizzle your tofu and rice with the olive oil, pick up a fork and dig in!